Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homebuddy

I've been bitten by the room-decorating bug. It started with this nagging annoyance with this clutter in one corner of my room that's been there ever since I was in college. Or must I say, ever since we transferred in this house. By clutter, I mean a dumpsite-ish area where a huge luggage (containing school stuff), a big art bag (of painting materials from the visual arts class I attended sometime ago), a dusty shopping bag (filled with old corporate clothes)...well, just plain garbage that I can't seem to dispose completely because of sentimental reasons. I am one hell of a packrat and it sucks really. Got all these excess baggage trailing behind me all these years.

And so one ho-hum Saturday, I decided to get my lazy butt rummaging through the mess--sorting, and yes, throwing away stuff. Finally. All the useless whatnots are already where they are supposed to be and the luggage is under my bed now, making my room a whole lot more spacious. I can almost hear my floor thanking me for giving it the breathing room it deserves. I am amazed at how much I felt lighter after seeing my bedroom spic and span. With that accomplishment, I kinda got slightly obssesed with pretty-fying my humble abode. And so, I changed into a new white light. Yes, I did all the screwing by myself atop a chair, reaching for the ceiling and all. I bought curtain rods and assembled everything in less than an hour. Got aroma therapy oil for my burner. My dresser is not so much of a chaos now. My shoes are all in their rightful boxes, stacked neatly where pairs of shoes are supposed to be. I also bought bedsheet set with colorful flowers and bees design. How I wish I had a before-the-makeover picture to show here. But that would be outrageously embarrassing. Hahaha. I like my bedroom better now that it has less. Less mess, MORE pink :)

I am planning to eliminate more unnecessary things, little by little. There's so much to do though. Next on my checklist is getting a bookshelf. And buying storage boxes. Oh my gorsh, this is an addiction that is sooooo not me!! Okay let me get this straight, I am the type of person who will never be comfortable with peace and order. But even the creatures of my type needs a little organization here and there. Am I becoming O.C.? Hell no. I guess I just got in touch with my domestic side (which is very unlikely). After all, I am a girl (FEEL my sarcasm). In a patriarchal society, girls are supposed to be so damn good at housework yadda yadda yadda. I guess this inclination to domestication is not really of compliance to the stereotype but a personal choice to master the cannot-be-mastered art of LGMO. Letting go, moving on. Of all things that make you feel heavy, I say.

But yah know, everything has a downside. The main disadvantage to having a kikay-fied room? It makes getting up in the morning harder. Oh much much much more difficult.

No comments: